Calizo Sicilian Halibut Fish Stew
4 – 6
40 – 45 minutes
About this Recipe
By: Linda Eads
This is a hearty fish stew from the southern Sicilian region of Italy.
Great a on cool day with warm Italian bread.
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 2 large celery stalks, diced
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- Calizo Seasonings, to taste
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- ½ C. dry white wine
- 1 28-oz. can chopped tomatoes, with liquid
- 2 C. organic fish stock
- 1 lb. halibut filets, skin removed and roughly chopped
- 1 C. fresh green beans, trimmed and quartered
- 1 large organic lemon, juice and zest
- ¾ C. fresh parsley, chopped
- ¼ C. pine nuts
Optional, To Garnish:
Freshly shaved Parmesan cheese
Fresh parsley, chopped
Step by Step Instructions
Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, carrots, zucchini, and garlic. Season with Calizo Italian Seasoning and salt and black pepper, to taste. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the veggies become soft and fragrant, approximately 4-5 minutes
Add the wine and gently scrape any brown bits off the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon. Stir to combine and simmer for approximately 2-3 minutes.
Add the chopped tomatoes and fish stock and bring to a rapid boil, then reduce heat to medium low. Cover pot and gently simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20-25 minutes.
Uncover and add the chopped halibut and fresh green beans. Cover and continue cooking until the fish is flakey and the green beans are slightly tender, approximately 8-10 minutes.
Add lemon zest and juice and stir in fresh parsley. Remove from heat and season with additional salt and black pepper, if desired
To serve, top each serving with a tablespoon of pine nuts.