Grilled Marinated Asparagus with Gremolata
5 minutes + time to marinade
6 – 8 minutes
About this Recipe
By: Linda Eads
This grilled marinated asparagus is a quick and easy side dish enhanced by the addition of a simple, yet tasty, Italian gremolata.
Traditionally, gremolata consists of just three ingredients – fresh parsley, garlic, and lemon zest – and is used to top meat, poultry, and seafood. Here, a bit of preserved lemon rind is added for an additional pop of flavor.
- 1 lb. fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 1 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
- 1½ tsp. Mediterranean-spiced sea salt*
- Black pepper, to taste
- 2 whole lemons, cut in half
- Shaved Parmesan cheese, to serve (optional)
- ¼ C. fresh parsley leaves, washed, dried thoroughly, and finely chopped
- 1 tsp. organic lemon zest
- 2 tsp. preserved lemon rind, rinsed and finely chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, grated
- Sea salt & black pepper, to taste
For easier turning (and to prevent asparagus from falling through the grill grates), thread two pre-soaked wooden skewers through several spears lined up side by side to hold them together.
Step by Step Instructions
Place asparagus in a wide, shallow bowl and drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Season with Mediterranean-spiced sea salt and black pepper, to taste. Gently toss to combine and set aside for 15-20 minutes to marinade.
Prepare the gremolata by combining all ingredients is a small bowl. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste.
Spray grill grates with non-stick cooking spray and preheat grill to medium-high. Place asparagus and lemon halves over direct heat and grill for 3-4 minutes per side, or until they are crisp tender.
Remove from heat and transfer to a serving dish. Top with gremolata and serve immediately with grilled lemons for squeezing and shaved Parmesan cheese, if desired.